Whew! You made it through another school year. Now you can just relax and READ! Reading at least 30 minutes a day all summer will make sure you are ready for next school year!
Incoming Fourth Graders (that’s you) are REQUIRED to read at least THREE books:
- Frindle by Andrew Clements. “Nick likes to liven things up at school, and he’s always gotten away with it – until fifth grade and Mrs. Granger. When he learns a little bit about how words are made, he decides to invent his own, and the battle begins!” (excerpt from back cover)
This is one of Ms. Jennifer’s favorite reads for the beginning of fourth grade!
Once you’ve finished Frindle, it’s your chance to invent your very own new word! Use the attached worksheet to help you. Be sure to draw a picture on the back!
Your invented word is due by Friday, August 28. That’s the first Friday of school – so don’t wait until the last minute!
2. Choose at least ONE additional book from the 2015-2016 Sunshine State Young Readers list:
- Athlete vs. Mathlete by W. C. Mack
- Blast Off! by Nate Ball
- Eight Keysby Suzanne LaFleur
- Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman
- The Fourteenth Goldfish by Jennifer Holm
- Freaky Fast Frankie Joe by Lutricia Clifton
- The Hero’s Guide to Saving Your Kingdom by Chris Healy
- The Hypnotists by Gordon Korman
- Kizzy Ann Stamps by Jeri Watts
- Nerd Camp by Elissa Brent Weissman
- Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen by Donna Gephart
- Pie by Sarah Weeks
- A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd
- Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
- White Fur Flying by Patricia MacLachlan
3. Choose at least one additional book – anything you want! You can pick from the Sunshine State list, or a favorite series, or a true story. It’s your choice – just read!
As you read each book, check it off / list it on the back of this sheet. Have your parents sign, and turn in the list by Friday, August 28. Easy, right?