Whew! You made it through another school year. Now you can just relax and READ! Reading at least 30 minutes a day all summer will make sure you are ready for next school year!
Incoming Fourth Graders (that’s you) are REQUIRED to read at least THREE books:
1. Rump: the True Story of Rumplestiltskin by Liesl Shurtliff. “In a magic kingdom where your name is your destiny, 12-year-old Rump is the butt of everyone’s joke.” This magical twist on a fairy tale is one of the books on the new Sunshine State Readers list for 2014-2015.
2. Choose at least ONE of the following books set in Florida:
- Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo (2009)
- Hoot by Carl Hiasaen (2005)
- Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer Holm (2011)
3. Choose at least ONE additional book from the 2014-2015 Sunshine State Young Readers list:
- Dorko the Magnificent by Andrea Beaty
- Magic Marks the Spot by Caroline Carlson
- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Brabenstein
- The Adventures of Beanboy by Lisa Harkrader
- The Adventures of a South Pole Pig by Chris Kurtz
- Elvis and the Underdogs by Jenny Lee
- Capture the Flag by Kate Messner
- Hooper Finds a Family by Jane Paley
- When Life Gives You O.J. by Erica Perl
- Abby Carnelia’s One and Only Magical Power by David Pogue
- Stranded by Jeff Probst
- The Sasquatch Escape by Suzanne Selfors
- King of the Mound: My Summer with Satchel Paige by Wes Tooke
- 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel + 1 Dog = Chaos by Vivian Vande Velde
What are you going to do after reading them?
- As you read each book, list it on the back of this sheet. Have your parents sign, and turn in the list by Friday, August 22. Easy first assignment, right?
- You’ll also be assigned a project related to your summer reading shortly after school starts.